Tuesday, 9 September 2014

Explain the need to develop your sense of alignment (finding neutral)

Developing a sense of alignment is being aware of when you are not in a neutral position in some way, so if you are leaning more to one side or the body is not in straight alignment. It is important to get rid of tension and find a completely neutral position from which you are ready to do any exercise or movement.

 The standard ‘neutral’ position is: being stood with feet a hip’s width apart (a good way to find this is by putting your right foot directly straight, and your left foot at a right angle to the right foot so your heels are touching. Then, keeping your left big toe on the floor, pivoting your left foot round so it is also straight on and then moving your right foot directly backwards so your feet are in line); toes spread out so you have a strong solid base; knees loose - slightly bent (as opposed to being locked as many of us stand naturally, as this creates tension and strains the back); pelvis not being pushed out or tucked beneath you, being centred; back as flat as possible so you are not leaning forwards or backwards; arms hanging loosely by your side as if they are heavy rope with your hands being knots at the end of them; shoulders pushed down so they are not raised; head directly straight and slightly raised, as if somebody was pulling a piece of string out of the top of your head to create length in the neck; eyes looking out to the horizon.

One of the things I noticed was that I was not standing in a way that was aligned to begin with as I had my head tilted slightly towards the right. After the lesson, I tried to think of reasons as to why this could be and discovered that it was because I have a long side fringe and therefore tilt my head slightly so I can see properly from beneath it. Once I had identified the root of the problem, I decided to clip my hair back and see if this made a difference to developing my sense of alignment and it did.

This ‘neutral’ position is the basis of many exercises and should not feel uncomfortable in any way, although might feel strange to begin with.  One of the most important reasons as to why there is a need to develop my sense of alignment is because once I have a sense of alignment, I will know where my body parts are in relation to my core at all times. Once I have found the sense of alignment, I will be able to apply it to when I am acting; whether that may be using my body insightfully to develop a character’s characteristics or mannerisms, or whether it is to construct a piece of physical theatre that is more believable due to the fact I know exactly how my body is aligned. Developing a sense of alignment is also important so that I can have better balance and will therefore be more in control of my body. I was glad that we studied alignment in the first lesson as I believe it is fundamental for being a successful and believable actor due to the many benefits that are associated with developing a sense of alignment.


No comments:

Post a Comment