I have been partnered with Troy for the physical theatre duet, and have been rehearsing for about three weeks. I feel very comfortable with him, and we have a strong bond together. It helps as well that he is very strong, and he can lift me with ease, so this was a good starting point for formulating the piece.
We began by trying out a set out a set of lifts that we felt were good and worked out how to get into and out of them. When organically improvising, we then found points where it was natural to put the lifts in, if we found ourselves in the position of the preparation for the lift. This technique seemed to work until we found ourselves doing similar things every time we rehearsed; the formulation of our performance. It isn't set in stone; minor things change every time but we are confident in improvising together.
We thought that the rehearsals had become a bit bland, so after the lesson on physical objectives, we decided to put those in and create a story with characters that we could get into. The story is an emotional scene where he is the predator, and my character is the prey; he approaches me, so he makes all the invitations and at first I am strong enough to get away. He, however, is relentless, always pulling me back to him, and gradually I get weaker to the point where I am limp and he is still toying with me; he has won the battle. We then broke the scene into 4 sections to show a progression between them;
1. He makes a move on me but I fight him back
2. His movements get stronger, I am still strong but my movements don't take me as far
3. I am beginning to give in, I can't keep trying to escape, can't up with his pace
4. He wins the battle; I am dead, he has what he thinks he wants.
We do not have any music as of yet, as all of our songs that we like have words to them, but we are still looking for instrumental music that mirrors our fight in the pace, beat and tone of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment